Discussing the Columbia Pike Streetcar
Arlingtonians for Sensible Transit (AST) is a citizens group organized to:
- Educate Arlington residents about the County Board’s plan to construct a streetcar along Columbia Pike;
- Offer as a viable alternative a modern regional bus rapid transit (BRT) system;
- Insist that the County Board undertake a truly independent cost-benefit analysis comparing BRT to a streetcar;
- Encourage a community conversation about the pros/cons of a BRT versus streetcar system once such a cost-benefit analysis has been completed; and
- Encourage Arlingtonians to make their voices heard regarding their doubts/concerns about constructing a streetcar along the Pike.
Arlingtonians for Sensible Transit (AST) is pleased with the County Board’s recent decision to cancel its proposed streetcar projects. We would like to thank our supporters and volunteers; this has been a, true, grassroots effort. We remain supportive of enhanced bus service on Columbia Pike and on Route 1 and look forward to an expeditious process to enhance the transit in these areas.